PH: 541-575-1631
Map Locator
Veterans AffairsBob Muenchausen, County Veterans Service Officer

The Grant County Veteran Services Office is a joint commitment of Grant County and the Oregon Department of Veteran Affairs to all veterans living in Grant County.

We serve as authorized/certified agents/representation to the VA for our veteran population as required by law, even though we are NOT the US Dept of Veteran Affairs itself.

This office facilitates assistance and access to a range of benefits and services offered to veterans and their family members by the US Department of Veterans Affairs AND the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs including:

- VA Health Care Benefits
- VA Compensation
- VA Pension possibilities
- VA and State Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment programs
- VA Education and Training Programs
- VA and ODVA Home Loans
- VA Burial and Memorial Benefits
- State of Oregon Disabled Veterans benefits
- State of Oregon Veteran's Home in The Dalles

To get to know more about these programs and benefits, you may view the 2014 ODVA Veteran Benefits magazine online at the link below:

And, if your wish to view the VA's Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents, and Survivors book, you may do so or download a PDF copy to store on your computer free at this link:

Call 541-575-1631 to make your appointment to visit with our County Veteran Services Officer

Walk-ins will be accepted as scheduling permits.

Limited available office time means that an appointment is your best assurance of having time just for your needs.

The Office is open T-W-Th from 10AM to 4PM

"When the flag flies outside our door, we are in. When it is gone, so are we!"
If you have never set foot inside a Veteran Services Office or the VA before, and now you find that you have a reason to file a claim or enroll in a program such as VA Medical Care or Education Benefits, you will need to have certain documents available in order to file that claim and to verify your eligibility for many benefits and programs.

1. A copy of your DD-214 separation from service form, either the original you were issued at separation or a certified copy. This is the key that unlocks your benefits. Without it, you are likely to be shut out from VA benefits.

If you have neither, they can normally be gotten via the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, MO. You may get them online via the NPRC records online request site at this site --

If you use the online site, you MUST use the current Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser to access full functionality of the site. It was purposely set up to work with only that browser!

2. Other things you may need to have available when you eventually get to filing a claim or for some enrollments are:
Marriage Certificate
Birth Certificate
Divorce Decree(s)
Death Certificate (when dealing with survivor benefits to widows and dependents)
Occasionally, Medical records from private physicians or Military Medical records (which can be requested
at the same time as DD-214s from the NPRC.
And, perhaps other documents as required by the VA on request.

We will help you to get your military records if necessary, and to get other forms of evidence and documentation that supporting a claim may require.
Veterans can also access online what is perhaps the most complete VA claims and information site and become enrolled in the VA's online eBenefits program by going to their Secure and Encrypted Online Portal.

The eBenefits program provides the most convenient way for those who have a need to handle their own affairs due to distance from your county office, or any other factor where convenience, privacy, security are issues that matter. The direct access to your Dept. of Defense (branch of service), VA, and National Personnel records all in one place that eBenefits provides is something even your county veteran's office cannot offer.

All VA matters on eBenefits are handled in a secure, encrypted environment to assure that your privacy and security are always and in all ways respected. Check into this program today!! It may be one of the best moves you'll make as a veteran!

Comments on the eBenefits program and explanations of the program can also be found on THIS BLOG

However, if you'd rather just come in and discuss your needs and questions in person, please give us a call and we will make an appointment for you. 541-575-1631
All veterans are entitled to apply for VA Medical care. There are eligibility requirements which must be met, and veterans are assigned to Priority groups based on certain criteria of Service Connection and financial need. A completed application, VA Form 10-10EZ, and a copy of the veteran's DD-214, are required for determination of eligibility. Submission of these items can be accomplished through this office, or by simply taking them in person to the Burns, Oregon VA Clinic

Once accepted into the system, Veterans in Grant County generally go to the VA Clinic in Burns, OR or to the Boise VA Medical Center (VAMC, hospital) which serve this region of the VA Healthcare system. Other clinics and VAMCs can also be used by veterans from Grant County, such as the clinics in Bend and LaGrande. Many times, veterans going to any of these can occasionally be sent to another region's Medical Center, for very specific types of care not provided at their usual facility.

***NOTICE!! VA Medical Care and the Affordable Care Act.***
We have had many questions about the ACA and how it would affect Veterans already in the VA system or those thinking of joining the VA system. Here are answers to the two most often asked questions:

1) Will "Obamacare" affect my current enrollment in VA Medical Care? NO, absolutely NOT!! If anything, VA care meets ALL the requirements of the ACA and will have NO effect on access to VA medical Care and NO requirement to be enrolled in any other ACA approved program.

2) "If I want to enroll in VA Medical Care, will it meet the requirements of the ACA?" YES!! As stated in 1) above, it meets all requirements of the ACA.

So, Please! If you are considering VA Medical Care, do go right ahead and apply.
Grant County is lucky to have a volunteer service affiliated with the VA and the DAV (Disabled Vets of America) which provides transportation services to our veterans to and from these facilities. Staffed by local volunteers, this is a great convenience for veterans of all wars, and provides the needed transportation to these two vital VA Medical centers.

The DAV Van can boarded at the Elks Lodge parking lot in John Day behind the True Value Hardware on Main Street. You can find out their schedule of pick ups and returns and more information by contacting:

Bob Van Voorhis at 206-399-7391 to make arrangements.

Transportation of our veterans is an important service, and this group of volunteers and others are working on making transportation ever more available to all Grant County Veterans in the future.
New VA Medical Care ID Cards to be issued!!

Please go to this site to read more about what this will mean for Vets enrolled in VA Healthcare!


New!! VA announces the new Veterans Affairs Dental Insurance Program!!

For more information, please go to

It is the first national dental program authorized by the US Government for eligible Veterans Affairs beneficiaries! You have the freedom to choose which plan best meets your needs: Standard, Enhanced, or Comprehensive.

You can sign up online at the internet address provided above, or stop by your Grant County Veteran Services office for more info and forms. Once signed up, your local provider is Advantage Dental in John Day.
Read about Grant County
Surveys and Tax Lots
Grant CountyThe County Surveyor's site publishes over 20,000 original surveys - from the 1860s to the present - along with links to the Oregon Dept. of Revenue's assigned tax lot maps.

Find properties, plat maps, subdivisions and corners easily and quickly by township, range and section.